19.8.16

R.I.P Dad

 Eulogy for Charles West 8/18/16

Thanks to everyone who has joined us on this beautiful Summer morning. My father loved mornings like this, and he loved this time of year, the okra is coming in, and my father loved okra. My garden this year was the worst one I've ever had, except for the okra. This year, the okra was the best it's ever been. Dad got to eat some of my okra the last month of his life. You think about the little things, when folks aren't around anymore.

Death is strange. The finality of the situation is broken only by enduring love, faith, and each of our own memories. I pray the Lord is kind to my father as he enters a natural part of life, the ending of the physical self by death. Knowing that the Spirit shall never die, gives me great comfort, yet does not lessen my loss, either figuratively, or literally. 

Life is really short, it is fragile, and it is over quickly, even if it lasts for what seems like a long time. No, Eternity is a long time. The 86 years my father had are no comparison, even if to me, they were forever.  For, in reality, they were all the years I've ever knew, and I am so blessed, and honored, to have Bill West as my father. Now I enter a time without him, and no greater loss have I ever had. That it is common and happens to everyone, does not make it less strange. Nor lessen the pain of this loss.

My father was a person of integrity, ingenuity and intelligence.  He was a great father, and if you asked him for help, whomever you were, chances are he'd try to help you. I've seen him work on fixing something for days even if it could not be fixed.  That used to drive me crazy.

Through life you learn to either accept or ignore eccentricities from people central in your life. You learn however much you like, or dislike it, the fact is you'll have a lot of your parents in you. These things are called familiar because that comes from the word family. My father lives in me, my siblings, and he is a part of a larger family legacy. He was the last of his era of the family left, now it is up to us, his children, grand children, our people, to continue this legacy.

As the time of my father and his family before and now, comes to pass, the world changes. Some things are better, some things definitely are not.
One thing that does not change is love. God's love does not change, and my love for my family only increases. As we're gathered here in honor of my father, I'd like to ask that everyone take time to love one another, their family, their friends, and work hard in their lives to achieve positive things. Don't forget the people in your lives, for any reasons.  Soon enough, we all pass, so make the best of time with those you love, while you're here.

Dad, we'll never forget you and I cannot wait until the day we meet again.  I love you with all my heart and thank you for being a friend, a father,  a husband, and one hell of a man.  The earth and the souls of men are better for knowing you, and your light shines for ever with eternal beauty,  which is the living Love Of God, where now your spirit resides.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and shared memories of my father. I love you all. May you be blessed.